Saturday, September 18, 2010

New York City

Growing up in a small town out on a farm, a lot of people would have never guessed it was my dream to see New York City. It always seemed like such a magical place where anything could happen. As Alicia Keys says "New York, these streets will make you feel brand new, these lights will inspire you..." (This is my theme song.)

Anyways! At the beginning of my senior year, my mom asked if I wanted to go for my senior trip... and I asked her if she knew anything about me... Meaning Y.E.S!!!! We booked the tickets, hotel, and shows and we were already to go for the following April! I was so EXCITED! As time got closer, we realized we had booked the trip for the wrong week. We were planning on going for my spring break, but the school district had changed the dates to the week before. There was no way we were canceling the trip. The school would just have to do without me for two weeks. :) Too bad so sad.

We took off on a Sunday night and flew the Red Eye to JFK airport. Longest night of my life. The first day we took a bus tour around Manhattan. I could barely contain myself. It was even better than I had imagined! It was the culture diversity; the history; the lights; everything was just so exciting! We stayed at the Marriott Marqui right down in Time Square that week. We did the Regis and Kelly show one morning, NBC studios, 5th Avenue shopping, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Central Park, Broadway, the Met, Museum of Natural History, Ice cream and Serendipity, and we even stopped by the Plaza one day.

I was a brand new person by the end of the week, and I knew one day I would return. Since then, I have made it a goal to return there one day. I have made it a goal to work there and gain some first hand experience at the "Real American Dream". This was definitely an experience that changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment