Monday, September 20, 2010

5 positives vs. 5 negatives

Today in class, we were discussing self perception and how we feel others perceive us. Someone mentioned that their mom used to make them say 5 nice things about someone when they were being mean to them. That made a memory click...

This last summer I worked for an insurance company that did workshops for schools. I had the opportunity to go observe one where the subject was bullying. I remember them saying that it takes 5 similar negative comments to make someone believe they are something they're really not.

The Comment: "You're Stupid"

1st response: "I'm not stupid you're stupid!"
2nd response: "I don't think I'm stupid..."
3rd response: "Am I stupid?"
4th response: "Maybe I am stupid."
5th response: "He's right, I am stupid"

And these kinds of comments stick with us for the rest of our lives. It's sad - but it does. It just goes to show how careful we need to be in our words to others. Be aware of what you are saying. Speak words of kindness and you will have a great impact on someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment