Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nonverbal Communication

Sister McKenna asked us to write in our portfolio about two types of nonverbal communication - more specifically one we are good at and one we aren't so good at.

Friendly

I think in general I am a happy person. I always try to smile and be friendly towards others. (Of course there is always the exception of the really bad days...) I think I'm good at giving friendly smiles and letting people know I'm easy to talk to. I try to have an open posture and not walk around with my arms folded across my chest. I stand up straight and like to look people in the eye. I think this shows someone that you genuinely care and want to talk to them.

Wonder Woman

I think this in particular is a definitely flaw of mine as far as nonverbal communication goes. My friendly behavior doesn't always come across in the way I mean it. I like to be doing at least 3 things at once. Honest to goodness, I'm not lying. I feel like I have to be Wonder Woman. And I think this nonverbal behavior comes across as if I don't care or am "too busy" to talk to someone. But the truth is, I can be watching TV, working on homework, chatting with friends online, and talking to my mom on the phone all at once. (This drives her crazy, as I think it does a lot of people.) I have been trying to slow down my life and focus on one thing at once, but it's still a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment